Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

Not getting power to the fuel pump on a 2006 Dodge Charger

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. Not getting power to the fuel pump on a 2006 Dodge Charger
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure.. Cars been sitting a while and fired up fine about 2 months ago and ran, although now wont start. Checked the fuse and its good but the fuel gauge isnt registering anything even though i put 5 gals of fuel in, also no fuel pump priming sound when the key is turned on.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 12 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

Assuming that the battery has power and the engine cranks, what you're describing sounds suspiciously like rodent damage to your wiring harness. An area right where the harness drops down through the rear seat area holds just enough room above the tank for smaller critters to get in and... you know what critters do.

If there's any good news, it's that you can check this out yourself without lifting the car. Fuel pump access is from the floorpan below the left rear seat base. To remove the seat, slide your fingers under the forward edge of the seat cushion unit (about a foot from the left door edge) and lift hard. You'll feel resistance at the point where the seat clips to the floor, so move your grip as needed. Both sides attach at the same point.

Lift the seat out and locate a black plastic cover on the left/ driver's side floor pan. Pull the cover up and be prepared for the possibility of interrupting someone's dinner (use gloves or pliers). The pigtail that you see extending through the plastic grommet-cover contains circuits for the fuel pump motor, left side level unit and grounding for both. It seems logical that this would be the point of damage, considering its relative vulnerability.

Be sure to let me know what you find.

Ed

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for the reply! I've checked the wiring harness there and its all intact. The pump itself should be good as I replaced it last year and the car hasnt been in use since due to a transmission problem. I've been trying to remember to start it and let run for a bit every month but missed it over the last few, but previously it hasnt had any problems starting and/or running.

I have to ask... Do you have good battery power? Does the engine crank over?

If it's yes to both, have you noticed anything else that's not working?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I've got good battery power and the engine cranks fine. The only other thing that seems to not be working is the fuel gauge as its not registering any fuel even though I've put 5 gals in the tank. It seems that the pump/sending unit is not getting power, but the fuse and relay are both good. If I turn the key on, what voltage should I register at the fuse slot for the fuel pump?

The fuel pump fuse is actually a feed to the relay in this system, so it will be hot all the time (it's direct battery power). Once switched by the relay, it travels the rest of the way direct-wired.

Just so we're on the same page, your fuse number is #6 (20 amp) in that in-trunk fuse block, called the PDC. The pump relay is on the opposite side and is the middle of three rectangular (IsO-20) type relays. Terminals are identified from the underside of the actual relay, with terminal 30 being your fuse feed into the relay and 87 being the output circuit. If you were to jumper 30 to 87 it should spin the pump. Checked with a test light or voltmeter with the relay removed, terminal 30 will have battery voltage and 87 will be a ground, since you're reading ground through the pump motor if the circuit is good.

The dark blue/ orange wire at the pump unit (left side pump unit... there are two fuel modules on your Charger) is your pump output. If you find no grounding through terminal 87 at the relay base (in PDC), check continuity to the blue/ orange wire from terminal 87. Should be less than 5 ohms.

I see a fair amount of trouble with the pump units on these cars, where terminals inside the pump module body get hot and lose continuity. I can't imagine why yours would suddenly decide to take that route, but if you find you have continuity to the pump connector but nothing through the pump unit itself, you do have a problem inside the tank.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the response. Here's what I found by testing the various wires.12.6 volts at fuse #6 (20 amp)
Tested the relay and its good.
12.6 volts to the energize circuit (85) on the relay.
12.6 volts to 30 on the relay.
Good ground at 87Checked continuity to the wiring harness at the pump. The plug is labeled 1-5 on the underside.At point 1 (blue/white wire). 1.3 ohms
Point 2 (black wire) -.21 ohms
Point 3 (blue/white) 1.3 ohms
Point 4 (black/orange) 0.0
Point 5 (blue/orange) no reading. The multi meter did not change.Based on these readings, It almost sounds like its the pump. Which would strange as its been replaced right around a year ago and the car has not been driven, only started in the driveway and run for 15-20 mins at a time.Can you tell me what the voltage should read at the corresponding spots on the plug at the pump?
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 11 months ago.

I'd jump straight to the pump module connector at this point to see what's available. Of the five wires, only the blue/orange and black/ orange wires are involved with pump operation and they're right next to each other.

The blue/orange wire is your fuel pump relay output source and ground is the black/ orange one is ground. Power is supplied to the pump immediately at key-on, but for only a second or two. After that, it requires engine rotation (cranking) to engage the relay continuously. Ground is constant. Let's see if you've got these two sources and if so, you'll be needing a pump unit.

I hope my advice has helped you to find your problem. If so, please rate our experience at JustAnswer favorably, as this is the only way I can receive compensation for my time. If you still need help, by all means write back and I'll be glad to reply.

Thanks,

Ed