Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have just bought a 2008 Dodge Caravan. It looked like it

Customer Question

I have just bought a 2008 Dodge Caravan. It looked like it was brand new, inside and out. After having it at home for 2 days, I noticed that every once in a while, the horn would make a quick toot. I also noticed that if I left the car unlocked, it would lock itself. Can this be remedied? I also note that the trip meter showed I went over 400 miles in those two days. Impossible. I only drove it 2 times to town, 10 miles away. What is happening?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

From what you have described here this sounds like a fault with the TIPM (totally integrated power control module/ecu) which is a very common component to act up on these here.This controls and monitors the door locks and alarm/horn and can also affect the trip meter.

What will have to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked/read out using a scan tool that is fully compatible with this model here to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set will need to be diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.I have seen this control module fail several times before needing replaced for issues very similar to this here but this will need checked/tested with a scan tool and multi meter to be sure.

This module is located on the drivers side up front under the hood in front of the brake booster as seen as #1 here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjoj51oips1xqz5/tot-12-06.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete