Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 3.7 idle is too gh and gives me code

Customer Question

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 3.7
idle is too high and gives me code P0500
runs about 35 mph with out pressing the gas petal
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Does this vehicle have ABS?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, has anything been replaced or checked for this problem as of yet?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Does the speedo work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced spark plugs, tps, iac, cleaned TB, cleared codes, speedo works fine
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! Thank you for that additional information. Lets go after this P0500 code first. This code is for the VSS. You should be able to ohm out the VSS to ensure it is within specs. Also, check the wiring going to the vehicle speed sensor. We have seen a lot of these with broken wiring going to the sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will check into that, please note that the high idle triggers after is warm up, are you going to tell me the VSS spec or I need to find that?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! For some reason I cannot find the vss specs. I would out it out just to be sure it is not very high or out of limit. (OL on the meter) I would suspect it would be over 20 ohms and under 500.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I could not find the VSS, can you explained the location or type of sensor this is?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Depending on the set up, it will be on the rear diff or the end of the transmission. I do believe this one is going to be on the rear diff since it has ABS.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance? Please let me know and I will be happy to help!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

.