Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My Name is. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab 4x4 with a

Customer Question

Customer: My Name is Dick. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab 4x4 with a Cummis 5.9. It starts up fine but won't shift into gear. Worked fine backing into its current spot. The shift lever will move, but you can tell the transmission isn't engaging wheter it is R, N or any of the Ds.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure if this is a catalyst or related at all.... but I was changing out the radiator coolant and thermostat. After I got everything in place I was running the engine to get it to heat up (I had it in park and rev'd to about 3k rpm) and see if the thermostat was good and would be opening up. At some point while doing this the engine kind of "hickuped" and a bunch of coolant jumped out of the radiator (Yes, I felt like an idiot because I hadn't put the radiator cap back in place). After the hickup the engine had died so I restarted it and let it run a bit longer. When the engine never heated up I thought we'll I'll take it for a drive up the street and around the block. When I went to put it in gear it wouldn't engage.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking I should check to see if a fuse had blown but cant find a list of fuses to see if any correlate to electronic control of transmission.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

When the coolant spewed out, did it stall because coolant got onto the engine electrical connectors? If so its possible it got on the transmission wiring or the TIPM. Are there transmission codes?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

You should see a rating screen if I have posted an answer, not an info request.

Your rating is my feedback. If I don't get feedback from customers, I will not be able to continue helping customers here.

Rating me good, bad, or not rating at all does not effect the fee you have paid nor does it close the post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the codes it is throwing:
P0524
P0217
P0480
P2509
P0573
P1755
P0513
I know it is an older truck. Some of these codes pre-existed the "won't move" issue.

Thanks for the update. Can you clear the codes, start it and try every gear then check the codes again so we can get all the current codes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will try tomorrow after church.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Busy week. I have been unable to get the codes to clear. I think my programmer is unable to clear them. They all remain. Is there an electronic linkage between the gear shift and the transmission? Is it fused?

Yes there are fuses related to the transmission, do you need all of those to check them?

Yes there is a shift linkage between the transmission and the shifter.

If you remove the battery cables for 15 minutes to clear the codes, can you then tell me which return?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try o do that tomorrow.

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had to fly down to Tampa this week for work. I tried the last suggestion before I came down on Monday. No Joy. Still not engaging into any gear. Truck stays in Park. :(
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 11 months ago.

This is what I wrote on the 9th.

I can not tell which line you are referring to with your last reply.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I disconnected the batteries. I don't know which fuse numbers to check.

Thanks for letting me know, no codes returned.

All powered circuits for this transmission are internally powered from the totally integrated power module, there are no fuses you can change.