rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 99 dodge bus/wagon. It runs well in the winter/cold

Customer Question

Hi I have a 99 dodge bus/wagon. It runs well in the winter/cold but when it warms up outside the engine may stall and be able to restart while coasting or it may not start for hours or days. Eventualy it will start. This makes it hard to work out of.
Any ideas? (Ground issue?)
Thanks in advance.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

I would test for what is missing at the time this is happening such as spark at the plugs and by use of a gauge, fuel pressure and volume. Most likely one of these is the reason.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. When the van stalls out the odometer reads no buss, and the asd relay will not click when the ignition is turned, there will be no spark from the coil.
When the asd relay will click (ignition switch turned) the odometer will read properly and all is good till it fails again.
It may take 2 seconds to be back to normal and start or 2 minutes or 2 hours. No real reason to me.
It only fails when warm.
It always runs when it's cold (below 40 outside).
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

That means your losing input communications from one computer to another. The bus needs to be examined.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand the bus is the issue.
Can you help me understand what could cause the computers to not communicate then again communicate?
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More over, how does one test for issues regarding the bus?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Wiring diagram for computer bus line

Thanks