-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I cleaned egr valve and it still seems to stick on start up.

Customer Question

I cleaned egr valve and it still seems to stick on start up. have to cycle key on and off several times till it starts and idles correctly
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

if your sure the EGR valve is sticking then I would replace it since you have allready cleaned it..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would something else be causing the egr from closing on start. i know it is pushed open when ignition is turned on. appears it doesn't retract after start up. does it several times a week
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
appears something is hanging up, truck does not want to rev up
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

What codes are setting and have you had the ECM updated to the latest software?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think one was p4050,egr related, II don't want to throw a 500.00 + part at it hoping to fix it. The last PCM update was a J35 recall. ( 72351435BK , Recall J35, Code 23132, Date 5/3/2010 )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I run the truck with egr unplugged to see if issue at start up goes away. What codes should I expect to see with this unplugged
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The EGR can open @ idle and likely not the cause of your issues... WHat codes are setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brad, your not answering my questions or making an attempt to point me in the right direction, are you a diesel mechanic ??
It is a issue that happens at start up, engine will not rev up and engine sounds like it is in regen or something. If I keep shutting it down and restarting it will run correctly without setting a code
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The EGR will not cause any idle issue, you can even unplug it and it will still run fine... You have other issues and I would start with checking your fuel delivery system..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brad, I don't have a problem with idling ! It will idle fine and make a funny intake noise ?? Is J35 flash the latest upgrade available for the 2009 cummins. I'm going to unplug egr valve and see if problem still exists after a week or so ??????
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

There are updates since the 2009 flash and I would suggest for you to have it updated and see if your issues still exist..