Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2001 Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4 with starting issues. 2

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4 with starting issues. 2 new gel batteries drained after a few months sitting, put in old batteries and engine turned over once and quit. I charged batteries and tried again - engine turned over twice and quit. There was a clicking under dash when I opened door but stopped when I closed door; it started again when headlights turned on and stopped when turned off. I charged overnight and added jumper cables with car running and got clicks (like solenoid). I pulled started and had it bench tested - OK. I ran a diagnostic and got P1689, P0360, and P0362. I switched CBs and got total silence when attempting start; switched CBs back and still silence. Contacts on intake air heaters are good. Can you help?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. This sounds like a battery cable connection problem. Could Be a ground connection, or Positive cable connection. Check out the cables at the battery, the underhood fuse box, and the grounds where they attach to the body and engine block. Check clean and tighten all of these connections. Lrt me know if you find any bad or loose connections.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already done when batteries were changed and prior to charging and jumping batteries. This is not a consideration.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, What is the voltage when measured at the main stud in the underhood fuse box? Measure it with the key off, and when trying to crank the engine. let me know what it is,

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to get a new multi-meter. Mine walked away from my garage, plus I'm not at home so it will have be tomorrow.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

No worries, I will look for you tomorrow!

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Voltage was 12.63 and then 10.24. I replaced the batteries, again, and obtained 12.58 and 12.57 respectively. As I need to be on the road by Sunday I scheduled a diesel mechanic who makes house calls and will come over to try and figure out the mess.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, you have some sort of high resistance/bad connection issue in the cables or in that under hood fuse box.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still don't know what the problem was/is, but after the error codes were reset everything started working. I'll be able to leave tomorrow and after my trip is over I'm taking the truck to an electrical shop and have them exorcise the demons (hopefully).
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, well let me know what is found if you can. I still think that this is a connection problem.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since it's running for now (hopefully) it will be quite a while before I get it in the electrical shop to run down the cause, but I'll try and remember.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, well if you can, keep me posted on the issue.

Chris