bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

I have a 1995 dodge intrepid I just bought real cheap the

Customer Question

I have a 1995 dodge intrepid I just bought real cheap
the heat doesn't work or very little heat, one hose going into the core is warm the other cold, I tried flushing the core with a water hose with no change, then I tried putting clr in the core for 2 hours then flushing it again, still no heat, when flushing it, the water will back flush easy but will only flush a little going forward likes its plugged, but will continually backflush easy, can this be fixed and how
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

ok sounds like the heater code is definitely plugged the proper fix is replace the heater core, BUT if you have a decent air compressor that you can set to 30 pounds MAX and a rubber tipped blow gun, I have had pretty good (80% ish) success using both air and water to remove the gunk that is plugging the core, use the water to fill the core and then use the air to blow the water and junk out do this BOTH ways until the water runs clear in both directions.

now be aware heater cores don't plug on their own so someone may have added some sealer to the cooling system or failed to change the old coolant every few years the old green coolant used back then would NOT last more than 3 years before it broke down and started to corrode the internals

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

following up to see how your doing