Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

My 2012 dodge avenger is throwing a p0733 and a p1790. The

Customer Question

My 2012 dodge avenger is throwing a p0733 and a p1790. The car shifts fine from first to second but acts like there is no third gear. Downshift between first and second is also smooth. I am just trying to get an idea of what the problem might be before I take it into a shop for repairs. Have not noticed any slipping, just no shift into third. My car drove absolutely perfect yesterday before I got in it this morning to find this.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Incorrect ratio codes (p1790) almost always indicate a mechanical failure in the transmission, but they are almost always accompanied by slipping. I think you are on the right track with disconnecting the battery to try and reset the TCM. It could be setting a false ratio code. At this point it might be best to have it towed to a transmission shop since you might not be able to get the TCM to reset without pulling the battery cable.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Did you try to remove the transmission control relay yet?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Here is a picture of it's location.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

If this relay were bad you wouldn't get 1st or 2nd gear, only 3rd. Since you have 1st and 2nd and no third, I hate to say it, but you probably have an internal mechanical failure and will need a transmission rebuild.

Expert:  Jared D replied 12 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Also, please don't forget to rate; they don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.