Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2008 sprinter 2500 short boost of power - loud turbo sound,

Customer Question

2008 sprinter 2500 short boost of power - loud turbo sound, turbo goes quiet - code p2015 and code P0299
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything been done on the vehicle recently that may have caused this issue at all or anything done to try and locate or repair this issue yet?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI I am a HD equipment / diesel mechanic for 40 yrs also an automation technologist for over 25yrs. So I'm not bad with technical language :) - I have no good access to documentation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Van has terrible history of breakdowns - this is net new.Van was running ok with good power then, a few days ago - a very noticeable buz/hissing sound - then popwer gone and two codes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P2015 and P0299
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the van in the shop and top shield off of engine. My helper starts the van - vane actuator moves to what I think might be normal position - he hits throttle / I listen with a stethoscope with a tube instead of diaphragm and hear a loud noise emenating from between the two halves of the turbo - engine goes to limp mode, actuator goes to parked state and no more noise
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,locate the lower boost hose where it connects to the plastic type muffler on the engine.I believe it is a sound resonator.See if this is cracked or split down the seam or if the hose has split or come undone.This is a very common issue here needing replaced.If found to be damaged the hose or the resonator it will need replaced.The plastic piece or resonator looks like this and as seen in this picture the seam has split and you lose all turbo boost and it will need replaced.Let me know what you find here.I believe the hose comes from the cooler.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/07eithhdf8t628s/boost-12-01.jpg?dl=0

As for the low fuel rail pressure code most common to cause this is either a restricted fuel filter needing replaced or the fuel rail pressure sensor needing replaced on top of the fuel rail.I have had to do both before.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked all the intake path for leakage and nothing obvious - there is definitely a loud sound coming from the turbo itself 250,000 Km on van. I will go and recheck the entire intake path once more and get back with my findings.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,it is usually the lower hose from the cooler or the plastic resonator/manifold piece that breaks needing replaced but let me know what you find here when you return.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is another comment from a Dodge sprinter expert:
- the Swirl Actuator Motor is mounted "Below" the turbocharger inlet. Sometimes when oil leaks from the turbo, it gets inside the swirl actuator and causes the p2015 code..Your thoughts on that?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The code P2015 on my info shows this as a fault with the fuel rail pressure signal voltage to low.Some after market scan tools can show this as a swirl flap issue but usually with the 2015 this is a fuel rail pressure fault.The code P0299 indicates a fault with low boost and the hose from the cooler at the bottom or the plastic resonator/muffler cracks needing replaced..I dont think this is a swirl actuator or flap/motor issue.This sounds like either low rail pressure due to a fuel issue to the engine (plugged filter,leaking injectors or to much return from the injectors,faulty fuel injection pump or faulty fuel rail pressure sensor) and an issue with low boost due to a turbo leak especially with the noise heard.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the entire pressurized air path and all is OK there. - to further diagnose, I get my helper to start the van, and the vane actuator arm which is initially slightly below horizontal, moves downward on ignition and start - stays there for a few seconds, escaping exhaust sound(not charge air) is present and engine has turbo boost. Actuator arm moves to above horizontal position then escaping exhaust air stops and no more boost engine just runs smooth with low power. I do not have any diagrams showing a blow up of the exhaust and turbo soI can only guess at exact operation and seal points
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW, its the 3 liter diesel
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

When you checked the air path how was this done,did you use a smoke machine?Have you visually inspected the lower hose to see if the hose is damaged,unthreaded from the clamp that secures it or if the resonator/muffler is cracked at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This then looks to be two separate issues so, my biggest concern right now is the turbo - once that is dealt with, I'll tackle the fuel I guess.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In you opinion, Am I at the "Pull the turbo out" stage?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If you have no leaks and you are losing boost like this here most likely the turbo is the cause needing rebuilt or replaced.I would focus on the low fuel rail pressure first just to see if the low rail pressure issue is causing the low turbo boost.If it is it can be disabling the turbo boost from operating putting it into a fail safe mode like this here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Visual check for oil seepage , took most pieces off - reassembled everything, sealed the outlet of a vacuum cleaner blower to the air intake side of the turbo, plugged the exhaust, sprayed a concentrated solution of dish soap and water everywhere I could and observed - I also checked for leaking sounds with my modified stethoscope. There is a minor/ moderate leak where the turbo resonator slides into the down pipe. This has been a long standing issue I am sure but the noise and quick switch to limp mode is new so I am sealing up the leak and will try again with fingers crossed but I'm overly confident that this is the issue. I had a some work done last year and the Dodge tech that did the work had the seal at the turbo half in and half out and I had noise and much more leakage and no low boost code. So I am a bit skeptical that a small leak is my problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check the pressure issue but that would not cause noise. Do you have a parts blow up of the turbo area and connections like a in a parts manual?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Let me take a look and see if I have any kind of blow up Ill be right back.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I do not have a diagram/blow up of the turbo components at all on this model here.I did a search on line as well and wasnt able to find one.You might contact a Dodge or Mercedes dealers parts department to see if they can get you a blow up of this as sometimes they can do this and usually wont charge for it either.

I have seen small leaks cause issues before but its hard to say for sure if this is the cause for the code here.I have also seen odd issues on this model where I had some EGR codes set which ended up being a leak with the turbo system causing the computer to set EGR codes this is why I suggest to repair any leaks found and correct the fuel rail pressure issue then re check for any turbo faults.

If a turbo fault comes back at all and there are no leaks or restrictions I suspect this is the turbo itself needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I completely understand your position. I was hoping you had more access to manuals and the like - I have 40 years with diesels and what I need most is details - I subscribed to alldataDIY for access to documentation and it's a real joke for the dodge sprinter so last time I buy one of these Sprinters. I spent over $12,000 in parts and labour in the past year and only managed about 2,500 kilometers. Costs are still climbing and the van is not reliable, meanwhile my old Ford and old Chevy which the sprinter had replaced just keep right on running . BTW, as an aside, in case you are interested, the vacuum cleaner approach works REALLY well for pressurizing the whole system down to the tail pipe.I'll remove the turbo and update you with what I find and might have a few more questions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The Sprinters have had their issues since they have came out and I do agree with that.I have seen lots of issues needing repaired on these.Thanks for the tip on the vacuum.I usually plug off all ports and inject smoke into the turbo/intake to locate any hard to see leaks (thats what helped me find leaks at the lower cooler hose).

Let me know if you need anything else here at any time and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Summary: P2015 is NOT a fuel pressure code - It is related to the swirl valves in the intake. If the actuator motor cannot reach proper position then the system codes P2015. The swirl actuator motor and connector are located just ahead of the turbo below the intake tube. It looks like a flat plastic plate with a connector on the driver's side of the plate. As a test, you can connect a fairly high ohm resistor (4.7K works) between the signal and control (not the brown wire) and this fools the control unit into thinking the swirl mechanism is working. Turbo stays on - good power. Doesn't solve the problem (looks like stuck valves in my case) but now I know. This means that your information is incorrect and that, in actual fact, I am helping you by furthering your knowledge. So it is only fair that you do not charge me for our chat as I received no useful information and in fact received potentially costly and time consuming information. As you can surmise from my qualifications below, I was looking for exact official document type information, not ideas based on experience.Richard Babin
Applied Sciences Technologist
HD Equipment/Diesel Mechanic
Truck Coach certification
Motor Vehicle Certification
Robotics Technologist.
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this myself here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete