Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500, with 45,000 miles on it. No

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500, with 45,000 miles on it. No past problems, except for one gas pressure sensor I replaced a few months ago. Last night my truck died while I was parking it - I now have no power anywhere except for my radio, the door locks, and the LED's on the mirrors. Otherwise, there is no power to ANY other components. The remote key lock does not register, either. No fuses appear to be burned out. I am at a loss as to what the problem could be?!? Again, I have had no prior issues with this truck - this was out of the blue.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what liter engine is in your vehicle here?

Is anything after market installed on the vehicle like an after market remote start or after market alarm system?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete!The engine is a 5.7 liter; there are no after market installations. I do not have a remote starter, and the alarm system was stock on the truck. I purchased this truck when it was brand-new, and I have not made any modifications to the truck.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a test light or multi meter to test electrical with at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a multi-meter
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k. lets do some testing to see if we have power to some fuses.

In your under hood fuse box start with checking fuses 22,10 and 14 (these are 20 amp,40 amp fuses) and see if they have power on one terminal at the fuse block that these fuses seat into with the key off or on.Let me know what you come up with here when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not that experienced with the multi-meter; how do I know which side of each fuse seat to place the multi-meter cables into? Does it matter (if I touch the multi-meter cables into the opposite terminals of the fuse seat, will this fry the multi-meter)?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

What you want to do is connect the negative black lead of the multi meter to the ground/common port in the multi meter and take the other end and place it on the ground post on the battery.Make sure you set the multi meter to DC volts.Then remove these fuses one at a time.Take the red positive lead of the multi meter and prove the fuses terminals that the fuses were seated into to see if one of the two terminals each fuse seats into has power (at or near 12 volts DC).If you can do this and let me know this will help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for explaining, and I apologize for my lack of experience. I have to run over to my truck to do this (it's across town), so this may take me 30 minutes or more... Since I'm headed over to the truck, is there anything else I can test while I'm there?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all,that's what i am here for to see if I can help you locate the issue here and help with the testing as needed.

Since your heading over check the battery cables at the battery and to where they run and see if any cables have any corrosion or damaged or even loose needing repaired.The ground and power cable both need checked.Also check at the alternator and starter as well as the main power feed into the fuse panels under the hood for any loose,corroded or damaged issues needing corrected.Hopefully you will find something quick and be an easy fix on this.If not come back here when your ready on the results you have with the testing.But make sure you check these cables over really well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete,
All of the power cables are connected and tight, with no signs of corrosion.The readings for all three of the fuse seats numbered 10, 14, and 22 are 12.33 volts. Any other ideas?!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Did the head lights or park lights work at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No lights work
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,this may be a fault with the body control module as I see it controls several electronics in the vehicle and if this fails suddenly this type of fault here can occur like this.This is difficult to fully pinpoint from here so I suggest having the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set as this will help pinpoint the fault here.

This does sound like a major loss of power or ground and may be the body control module itself or another power or ground cable that has broken free or become damaged in the engine bay area.

This will take some testing and tracking down to pinpoint the exact cause here but the best thing to start with is having the codes checked in all computers using a scan tool that is fully compatible with your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the codes will show up even with it having no power?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If you have some power to some of the components there is a chance that codes may still show up if the ignition is still registering with the computers when turned on and power is still at all computers.

It really sounds like a lost power or ground connection issue but locating the source can take some time.I have seen broken grounds on the engine block that can cause issues like this as well as these grounds can cause multiple electrical faults.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's my concern is that the ignition does not seem to make a difference. My radio will turn on right now with the ignition off, and it shouldn't do that. Nothing happens at all when I turn the ignition to the on position.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This sounds more like a possible fault with the body control module especially with the radio being able to be turned on with the key off.This will have to be checked into/tested further to be sure and usually requires a multi meter to test with as well as a scan tool to monitor the data signals from and to the body control module.I have seen the body control module fail before needing replaced.

Thanks Pete