Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 1500 plane. The low tire warning light stays on.

Customer Question

I have a 1500 plane jane. The low tire warning light stays on. Owners manual says only 2500 has this feature. Why is light on and how can I turn it off?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

What year is your truck?

The TPMS light will come on if the tires are more than 5% lower than the tire pressure marked on the driver door jamb placard.

If the light blinks and then stays on then one of the tire pressure sensors is bad.

Look at your tire valve stems; if they are aluminum stems, then your vehicle is equipped with tire pressure sensors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a 2011 and is not equipped with TPMS light came on Sat. and continues to stay on . I inflated tires to indicated pressure on door placard--40psi
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

If it is a 2011 and was purchased in the united states it has TPMS. Uncle Sam made it a law that any vehicle newer than 2008 has to come with TPMS from the factory under the T.R.E.A.D. act.

If you don't have metal valve stems, you are fortunate enough to have the new style that is much less problematic and has a thick rubber valve stem.

If you set the pressure to the manufacturer stated pressure and the light is still on, you might need to run it by a tire shop and have them reset the system. There is also a good chance that the spare tire might have a sensor, as Dodge started doing that pretty frequently beginning in 2010.

Here is the system description on how it works straight from Dodge:

Expert:  Jared D replied 12 months ago.

Let me know if you need additional information. I would love to help if you still need assistance.

Don't forget to rate. We don't get paid if we don't get a positive rating.