Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

I'm trying to go home with my family and I have a 2011 Dodge

Customer Question

I'm trying to go home with my family and I have a 2011 Dodge Durango and it won't start but has power I think it has to do with the security system. What do I do to over ride it
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Goood morning, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

Wow, that's really bad timing!

A couple of quick questions...

Are you using a push-to-start button, or are you inserting the key into the dash receiver?

Does the engine crank when you ask it to? By this, I'm wondering if the starter engages, perhaps for a full 10 seconds, when you turn the key or push the button.

Do you have a second key with you? Tried it?

I'll be available for phone call assistance if you'd like to speed things up a bit.

Talk shortly,

Ed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ed that would be great. I have a key fob that doesn't need inserted the sub picks it up when close. But I got the push button cap off and inserted the key. Now the keys stuck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's $18 extra to call and talk on the phone.(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ed are you getting my messages
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Sorry, I was with another customer. We're obligated to go through JA's secure network and there will be an additional charge, but I'll discount it as deeply as possible if that's OK.

Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Actually, that sounds like a dead vehicle battery.

Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure that you have power?

Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

These vehicles require a certain amount of voltage to be present to allow starter action. You may hear a faint -click- when trying to crank the engine early-on when the battery is a bit fresher, but you may lose even that if it's dropped below 11 volts. Even the ignition key becomes captive because it requires power to fire the release mechanism within the receiver. Try a jump start if possible and let me know how it goes. If there was nothing left turned on to drain the battery, you may have suffered a sudden internal failure of the battery, which means you may have the same issue when you turn it off next (like for refueling) on the road.

Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

These engine management systems don't like a noisy electrical system, either. A bad battery won't have the electrical "smoothing" effect on your charging system that it normally would and sudden engine stalls at stops may occur. If you have any doubts about the integrity of your battery, by all means have it checked before hitting the road.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While I was waiting to hear back from you I found another site said to disconnect the battery for 2 mins and reconnect it and it powered and started right up. W we are on the road as we speak.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

All's well, then. Remember that JA has your deposit, so be sure to request a refund if you'd like to get your money back. Otherwise a favorable rating for my efforts would be appreciated.

Drive safe,

Ed