Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2003 dodge durango it dies then it cranks over but

Customer Question

I have a 2003 dodge durango it dies then it cranks over but will not hit the fuel pump doesnt kick on and none of the gauges work all lights work and turns over fine but doesnt hit but as soon as u turn the key and the gauges work the car will start
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Which engine do you have in your Durango? is it the 4.7 V8?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 4.7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have ran the diag by turning the key and it jus says pdone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a 4.7 v8
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks. So no codes huh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

If that is the case, then what is happening is the PCM may be shutting down when the underhood temperatures get hot. The other thing it may be is a shorted cam or crank sensor. I have seen them short out and take the 5 volt sensor voltage down which makes the PCM look dead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even the battery gauge doesnt move even though it turns over but like i said if u happen to turn the key and the gauges work it will fire right up and which sensor would u recommend checking first
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

9 times out of 10 it is the PCM (engine computer) that fails though and I recommend replacing the PCM. However if you want to try a sensor, go with the cam sensor first, then the crank sensor. Finally the PCM.. PLEASE use only OEM Mopar cam and crank sensors.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

By te way, when the PCM shuts down, the gauges do not work because the instrument cluster can not see the gauge information from the PCM

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does a pcm typically run
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what does pcm stand for
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Oh the PCM (Powertrain Cointrol Module) runs around $300.00 for a quality remanufactured one. You can find them a little cheaper on line I think.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it pretty simple to get too and change
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Yes on a Durango it is not too hard to replace. I can send you the procedure if you wish.

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Do you want the PCM replacement procedure?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello? where did you go?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem?

Chris