Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

After my truck warms up I lose oil pressure have to bring up

Customer Question

After my truck warms up I lose oil pressure have to bring up the rpms to get it back
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what size truck series as well as engine size? thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ram1500slt 5.9
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, sorry for the delay getting back to you, Ok, does the guage go to bottom? has anyone done and oil pressure test? did this just start happening?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gauge goes to the button it started about 6 months ago I told drive it much now Because of it.no one has done a oil pressure test yet
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ok, the way it is supposed to work as we know? step one would be a manual oil pressure test, You haev eliminated the switch, so if in fact oil pressure is below the minimum of 6 psi at idle, then on of 3 things as possibles

either the oil pickup screen is blocked, OR the oil pump is weak , failed or failing OR just do to age and miles clearances in the engine are preventing oil pressure at idle, My thoughts? well I am not there, we do not have manaula test readings but I feel the pickup screen may be blocked, Now the correct way to fix is drop oil pan, change the screen but while there? one would put in a new oil pump, minimal after oil pan is off, Option 2? well it can work at times is to use an additive in qt can, motor flush,. You pour in engine, let it site, then run and then drain and change oil, Just an option. I am leaning to thinking the oil pan is in fact coming down and new oil pump and screen,You are describing this but again? really need to be sure the oil pressure readings on truck guage match a remote oil pressure test, This really should be step one

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

you are welcome, I know not really wanted to hear, but ,, I have to send as answers warrant,

Please remember to rate my service provided today, Many thanks