Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dose my 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 have a proportioning valve and

Customer Question

dose my 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 have a proportioning valve and if so where is it located?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

The height sensing proportioning valve is used on 2500 model vehicles with RWAL.(Rear Wheel AntiLock brakes) The valve is mounted to the left frame rail above the rear axle. The valve has an actuator lever connected by a link to the left lower shock bracket. you will see the brake lines going in and out of it

you will want to check if the valve is still connected and free if you have lifted the truck or modified it in any way from stock it WILL effect how the valve operates

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no height sensing proportioning valve on my truck where you said it should be. It must be controlled by the ABS module. I thought that because I sent the module in to be repaired and when that didn't resolve my problem I was thinking that there must be a proportioning valve somewhere else.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

ok first lets have the whole story, when did your problem actually start and was anything done just prior to the problem.

what is the EXACT problem and may I have the vin so I can see exactly the type of abs system your truck was built with, all th e2500 pick up's I have seen have only had RWAL and those ALL have a height sensing proportional valve ONLY full 4 wheel ABS will not have any proportional valve so I need to know how the truck was originally built and the VIN will allow me to decode that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bill the trouble I'm having is that when I apply the brakes the rear tires are skidding and seem to be doing all the work. My truck is a 2000 2500*****vin 1B7K2367YJ04252. A while back I noticed that my yellow ABS & red brake lights were on. My brake fluid was low so I toped it off and thought the lights wood go off, I was wrong. that's when I noticed the rear tires skidding. I replaced all the brakes and bled the lines. that didn't work. I brought it to a local auto parts store to pull a code. It came back saying that the problem was one of solenoids in the ABS module. I found a company ( Automotive Scientific ) that said they repair modules. I got it back from them, reinstalled it and still no luck. I sent it back and they claimed to have fixed it under warranty. I installed it again with no good results. That's when I asked about the proportioning valve. Know I just finished cleaning out the complete system. I was happy to see that when I bled the brakes this time I was getting twice as much fluid out of the front as the rear. As soon as I get my idler pulley changed I'll take it for a test drive and hope for the best. Unless you can think of anything I'm missing.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

your missing a digit on the vin the numbers at the end must be 6 digits NOT 5.

I do need to know if the truck was built with full 4 wheel abs or just rear wheel abs because of the differences in the way the module would work, full 4 wheel abs uses the abs module to control brake fluid flow and rear wheel is far simpler and only diverts fluid from the rear wheel so it MUST use a proportioning valve and a bad rear wheel abs module will likely NOT cause the rear wheels to work harder and skid, however bad or incorrect (to small or large diameter) wheel cylinders can easily cause the rear wheels to skid with no load on the rear of the truck, there was an old service tip about matching the wheel cylinders to the use of the truck to prevent rear wheel lock up when these were new