Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I just got a 2005 Ram Cummins with 170k and stock injectors

Customer Question

I just got a 2005 Ram Cummins with 170k and stock injectors and new FCA a smarty tuner intake and strait dual exhaust. Couple things ive noticed is with the cooler temps when I start it for the first time, it gives a puff of white smoke with 1 or 2 second cranks is that normal? Also one other thing I noticed, after I drive it for a bit, every once inahwile the exhaust will kind have a very slight lopeing taping note. It still sounds good and runs good do you think i have to worry about my injectors yet?
Also Im not making oil, I have no fuel in my oil with paper towel test, and I use a IR thermometer to monitor my cylinder temps there all close to each other.
Do I have anything to worry about?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The cooler temps may be an issue with one or more of the glow plugs heating up slowly.I have seen some do this.I have also seen some issues with some of the fuel injectors slightly leaking down that may cause the smoke.It can be common though for slight smoke on start up but to be safe it would be a good idea to have the injectors and the glow plug system tested for any issues.I dont think you have anything to worry about with the exhaust.It may be related though if you do have a slight issue with one or more injectors.If the injectors have never been replaced at this mileage there is a chance they may be getting close to needing replaced and may be leaking down into the cylinders slightly but if it runs and drives o.k. and no fuel in the oil then you are o.k. for now.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** not the glow plugs cause it does not have any, has a grid heater instead. Yea I'm aware I'm at the point I need new injectors soon but I don't have 3k to spend on them right now. The truck still runs great, I just wanted some assurance that my injectors probably still fine right now, and I'll just still keep a eye out for weird sound or hard starts. Also the dealer wants 600 to test my injectors so I don't want do that rather put that money towards new ones at somepoint. So if it's running fine no fuel in oil close cylinder Temps, no long hard starts I should be good for now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's just that very slight exhaust lope I get after driving for awhile worrys me but you said that shouldn't be a concern?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

As long as its running properly and all temps are good and no fuel in the engine oil or check engine light on then you should be o.k.I suspect that one of the injectors may be on its way out possibly and may be causing the smoke and the lope sound but if it is still running o.k. now then you are o.k. for now to save up and replace the injectors when you can.They may last another 50,000 miles or less or in some cases I have even seen them last longer but its hard to say for sure from here how long they will last for sure.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks yea I'm just concerned cause I know what a bad injector can do to the motor, but yea it's running to well right now can't be serious yet, I should know when one is really cracked or sticking or bad nozel right as long I keep a eye on it?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

You will know,if the exhaust is smoking,running rough,smell of fuel or fuel in the oil then I would have the affected injector replaced or all injectors replaced.As long as you keep an eye on it you should be o.k.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does haze a decent amount at idle when light hits the exhaust right, like headlights behind you, but that's normal for a diesel with no cats or anything right?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

On a good running diesel you shouldnt really see to much smoke from the exhaust at all.If there is smoke at all times this can indicate that one or more injectors is causing this here and it may be close to needing them replaced.Usually it will be a black smoke though if it is injectors.White or blueish white is usually an indication of the engine starting to burn oil and may be due to worn engine piston oil rings which can occur in some cases.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not smoking it's just haze you can only see it, If there's headlights behind you at night, or if the sun hitting it right in a shadow, out in the sun on a normal day or cloudy day can't see the haze at all. I'm guessing that's normal. Also black smoke unburnt fuel that only happens when I hit it with my programer on. I thought white smoke is bad injectors?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Usually black smoke is bad injectors but to much fuel that is unburned can cause white smoke from the exhaust.

If it is just slight this is normal,I thought maybe it was smoking pretty good but if just slight seen with lighting just right this is normal.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awesome yea only when light right you can see the haze or at night with car headlights directly behind me. Not under normal conditions. Plus I say decent amount of haze cause when I increased timing and tune seems haze a little more then just stock setting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Next I have to rebuild tranny ugh diesel trucks expensive
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Yeah the haze will become worse when adjusting the tuning due to more fuel input.This also wears on stock injectors faster increasing the fuel flow with the tuning so if you do put injectors in at some point if you are keeping the tune in the vehicle I would see if you can find some performance injectors as they wont fail with the tune operation.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I'm going to get the cpp 50hp injectors at somepoint, I think you answered everything for now, I may have one more question, but I have to do something at work I'll get right back to you
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete