Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

98 dodge 2500 diesel It starts and runs perfect but once it

Customer Question

98 dodge 2500 diesel
It starts and runs perfect but once it warms up and you cut it off it won't start again till cooled down. But will run fine once it starts back up everytime
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

One common component that will cause this issue is the crank position sensor (CKP).This sensor sends a signal of the vehicles rpm to the engine computer and ignition components.This sensor will fail to send this signal usually when the engine is warm and cause this here until the vehicle has sat and cooled again.I suspect this sensor needs replaced on your model here.It is located near the engine oil dip stick tube as seen here.https://www.dropbox.com/s/igakgy8zmbzdrjd/ckp-11-15.gif?dl=0.

I would have the engine fault codes checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete I will check that and the codes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete