Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon,
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

I have a 04 durango and it smoked from the tail pipes on ll

Customer Question

I have a 04 durango and it smoked from the tail pipes on hill reverse and at start up why is it smoking like that .
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

What color is the smoke? The series of engines u have has a problem with valve seats and seals

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks white I just had the engine rebilt last year and I had no problems until third trip to NYC then it started smoking real bad like fuel coming out .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 5.7 hemi engine replaced engine

So you believe you are dumping fuel specifically what parts have you installed and what codes do you have now? And are u feeling a skip or any other running problem or is the smoke your only indication of a problem. And last are u having to add oil or water

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I just have 678 coils but I replaced those with coils from AutoZone and replaced plugs wires still the same only time it start skipping when smoke comes out check engine light on and number 8 injectors comes up on codes .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No over heat or nothing dont have to add water or oil it runs good until it starts smoking .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0562,P0700,P2317,P2320,P0157,P0562 these are the ones that came up after diagnostics.

Okay I have researched your codes, first the 562 this code indicates low system voltage. Is your alternator and battery good, do you have good charging voltage at all times?

The 700 is saying that the Transmission control module has requested mil, you would need to scan the transmission control module

The last codes are for ionization, Do you have champion spark plugs that are the correct application? You need to check the wiring from each coil back to the pcm, if you have the correct plugs and there is no damage to the wiring, chrysler says the pcm will be bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whats the pcm I need to switch this out with more spark plugs . Whats is definition of transmission mil will this stop me from smoking and throwing codes

Hello sir thank you for your patience, we have been busy here this morning. Okay first the PCM is the Powertrain Control Module. IT is the computer that controls all engine functions. , And what I meant about transmission is the code 700 is a code that says that the Transmission Control Module has requested that The Powertrain Control Module illuminate the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. In short means check your transmission control Module for codes. I would have that done to see what is stored. As far as the theory behind replacement of PCM the codes you have stored for ionization mean that the PCM has detected that a proper burning of spark did not occur. The diagnostic process normally is to replace plugs with the correct factory plug, then coil which you have done. If it is not fixed then you are to check the wiring from the effected coils back to the PCM a broken wire or shorted wire will cause this code, if no problem is found, Chrysler states PCM replacement is required. Usually in this case the plugs or coil or the wiring is the issue, And I believe once you have cured this your smoke will be gone

Sir have I answered your question?!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I been so busy trying to prepare for the holiday I couldnt write back but thats what im doing now steps 1,2,and 3 have guys working on it now I will let u know what happens .