Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

My 2002 dodge grand caravan cranks over but won't start,, no

Customer Question

my 2002 dodge grand caravan cranks over but won't start,, no cluster lights on the front panel instrument cluster,, no sound, and not interior lights..?.. at all seems it is not getting voltage to the ignition or coil,,as there is no spark. Also the keyless entry has no effect, and yes I did but a new battery in the fop..?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Does the check engine light come on with the key on? Have you checked for spark while cranking? Does the TPS have 5 volts going to it with the key on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AS I stated the entire instrument cluster is off,, no check engine light comes on,, not seat belt light,, not brake light ,, no lights or sound at all when the key is turned on,, starter turns the engine over ,, and no spark..not battery power to the the interior at all.?
Also the keyless entry has no effect on door locks etc..?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

It sounds to me like the computer system is not awake. We will need to verify this by running a few tests. Let's start by doing this. Turn the key on and check for a 5 volt reference going to the throttle position sensor. You will need to remove the connecter from the TPS sensor to check for this. Please check for this and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AS I stated the entire instrument cluster is off,, no check engine light comes on,, no seat belt light,, no brake/ASB light ,, no lights or sound at all when the key is turned on,, starter turns the engine over ,, and no spark.at the plugs...no battery power to the the interior at all.?
Also the keyless entry has no effect at all not even on door locks, panic button or tail gate opener etc..?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

AS I stated, we need to check for 5 volts at the TPS with the key on. PLEASE DO THIS AND LET ME KNOW

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Amedee: sorry I took so long taking care of my 93 year old dad as he is ill. I did check the 5vdc @ TPS and it is good.
......verified that I have no spark at all but that seems a small problem when we have not cluster lights etc.
the horn works.. woopie also..!! and it sounds like the fuel pump is running when the key is turned on..punt.!
ps: thanks for being patainet with me.....fred
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello Fred! No problem! I understand family comes first. Thank you for checking that and running that test for me. Do you remember what color wire has 5 volts at the TPS with the key on? The reason I ask is because we need to verify that the PCM is awake. If so and it is not communicating, the PCM is bad and will need to be replaced. However, the inputs would beed to be verified before it is replaced. I am going to end over an offer so we can speak on the phone as I am going to log off line for a bit. If you get this while I am off line, feel free to accept my offer and call me. Please leave a message if I don't answer. Thank you!