Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2002 dodge ram 1500 5.9, crank, no start. Have checked all

Customer Question

2002 dodge ram 1500 5.9, crank, no start. Have checked all relays and fuses, replaced cam shaft sensor, crank shaft sensor, new coil. Have current through coil, but no spark.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

My name is ***** ***** I am a licenced diagnostic technician with over 20 years experience.

I will do my best to help you with your automotive problem. Please remember, I cannot see, hear or feel your vehicle which can make diagnosing very complicated and some vehicle require extensive diagnotics that require certain diagnostics computers that can not be done over a computer or phone.Please be patient as I am not online 24 hours a day, as I do work, but I do check my page every day.A positive rating is always appreciated for my time and knowledge to help you with your problem.

thanks for the info that you have provided,

so we have no spark, power at the coil...

do you have fuel pressure and injector pulse?

Its looking like we are having a pcm issue. THe computers on these are not the greatest .

Its good that you checked all of the fuses.

you will have to go one of two ways depending on if it has injector pulse or not.

1.

If you have injector pulse and no spark you will have to check the wiring from the PCM to the coil. You can do this with either a multimeter and check the continuity and resistance of the ground pulse signal.

you already checked the power to the coil, so now check for a ground pulse at the other coil terminal. if no pulse than its the wiring we have to check. you can also jump the wire straight from the coil to the pcm to eliminate this..

IF the wiring is ok, than it is looking like the pcm will have to be replaced.

the pcm grounds and powers will need to be checked before replacment.

2.

If there is No coil pusle AND No injector pluse, than a scanner with a live screen will be necassary to see if the pcm is receiving crank signal fro the crank sensor.

IF its not than you will have to check the wiring from the crank sensor to the pcm as i have seen frayed wires along this area too.

let me know if you have

1. coil pulse

2. injector pulse

3. fuel pressure.

this will be necassary to proceed to the next step.

IF you need any more info i be happy to help

cam