Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2002 dodge Dakota 3.9.. turn ignition get click

Customer Question

2002 dodge Dakota 3.9..
turn ignition get click click..replaced starter..new battery, new ignition switch and got same problem..click click
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you checked for the battery cables being loose or corroded at the battery or to where they lead to from the battery at all?

Have you inspected the cables for any damage at all with a cable needing replaced?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all cables been checked and seem to be fine
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a multi meter to test voltage with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,if you can access the starter (lets start here) test the large power in cable (from the battery feed) for around 12 volts or it should read the same as the battery voltage.Then if this is o.k. test the smaller wire (from the ignition feed) for 12 volts when cranking over with the key.Let me know if you have battery voltage on both of these wires.They should read very close to the same voltage the battery reads.Let me know when you are ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seems to be a bad ground..he chased the wire and was able to get it to turn over..is now replacing ground wire..do you see this as solving the problem ??
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Yes for sure,I was leading this way but wanted to make sure the power feeds are o.k.If the engine does not have a sufficient ground to it then the starter wont have a good ground and will cause this clicking.I would check all grounds on the engine,body and frame from the battery (usually there are some grounds at the back of the cylinder head) for any damage needing repaired or replaced.He can also try and add a ground from the battery to the body or engine or frame to see if this helps at all but yes for sure a bad ground will cause this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
am playing middle man on this conversation..i am heading over to the garage now and will get back to you..am not able to respond to your texts for some reason
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

That is odd that you are unable to respond.It may be a web site issue here they may be working on currently to try and resolve this issue.I suspect this is a ground issue needing repaired to correct this here.I have seen poor grounds cause this usually a ground to the engine or to the frame itself that causes this here.Let me know what you come up with here when your ready and feel free to rate my help if you like.

Thanks Pete