sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 1994 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L 12V, and just like many

Customer Question

Hi.
I have a 1994 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L 12V, and just like many others I am having problem with the overdrive; it comes in and out of OD whenever it wants. I have a rebuilt tranny. Throttle linkage it seems to be properly adjusted at 5". I have problems with my TPS, it reads o.1 volts at Idle and increases to 2.5 at WOT. Purchased a new one and it reads the same. If I rotate it clockwise on the shaft I can get to 1 volt but I have to rotate 45 degrees, so the common fis of enlarging the screw holes will not work; I will have to move the screws at least one cm which is too much. I also found a internet site which tells you how to adjust the TPS by using a 10mm open wrench near the top of the shaft were it first comes out of the TPS body. I don't see that in my 1994 so I am assuming it must be on a newer model 2nd generation. Here is the link:
http://www.dieselbombers.com/89-93-12v-cummins-tech-talk/26283-checking-adjusting-throttle-position-sensor-tps.html
I also replaced the ve
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Your TPS voltages are low but that won't cause it to come out of fourth gear. What will cause it to downshift or the converter unlocked, in relation to the TPS, is voltage spiking high. Moderate voltage spikes will cause the converter to unlock, very large increases can cause it to downshift to third in more rare cases.

Are you positive it's fourth gear and not the converter clutch?

Have you checked for fault codes?