Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

My 2004 dodge ram 1500 stalls out on me at idle periodically

Customer Question

hello my 2004 dodge ram 1500 stalls out on me at idle periodically no engine lights on mild rough idle changed crank sensor and cam sensor it also at about 15mph the rpm gauge surges up and down when foot off gas I need help don't no what it is and would like some help please.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also noticed while driving I can hear a loud bird chirping noise coming from truck at high speeds but it vague when going from light to light and the noise is lower
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Is this the 4.7 V8 engine in your truck?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.7
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, does it run ok above idle? And does this engine have the EGR valve on the right front cylinder head?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does run good above idle yes the egr is a little off to the right
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks. So I am thinking 2 things here based on what you have told me: 1 that EGR valve is sticking open sometimes and causing the EGR to flow at idle which can cause a stall and surging, or 2 the electronic throttle body is acting up. It has a built in TPS that can act up and cause those symptoms.

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

How many miles on the truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 130,000
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Has the EGR ever been replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about a year ago
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then it is probably not that (unless it was a cheap after market one). So I recommend trying a new throttle body. And if it has been a while consider to plugs and wires. There is a date code on the wires. If they are more then oh 7 years old, replace them. I think the throttle body will take care of it though.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The plugs and wires were changed about a month ago ok I will try the throttle body should I change the egr while I'm at it just to be sure
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Do the throttle body first. If you still have the problem, then replace the throttle body.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will change the throttle body first if that doesn't work I'll change the egr I'm going to try and get in done no later than Monday I'll keep u posted.Thanks Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good my friend. I will keep an eye out for your reply.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Chris I just ordered the throttle body unit it should be in tomorrow afternoon .
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Very good i will keep an eye out for you tomorrow.

Chris !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Have a good weekend!

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks and you do the same.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris