Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

I have an 04 dakota SLT club cab with a 3.7 and NO power

Customer Question

I have an 04 dakota SLT club cab with a 3.7 and NO power anything 5 speed with a bad CTM I replaced it a few years ago and things are unhappy again. It currently has CTM part # ***** which is listed as one for an 02-03 when I looked it up tonight. When i look up the correct one the interwebs list the correct part as(###) ###-####L. Which way should I go? it is possible that I purchased the wrong one a few years ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

Nah... even if it's the wrong CTM, the thing worked fine for a very long time before this problem cropped up. Besides, the total lack of anything working in your electrical system isn't indicative of a bad CTM because many circuits simply don't run through it. Your cluster should light up at key-on and the engine should crank. Neither thing will be influenced by a bad (or wrong) CTM.

I figure the problem is closer to the battery.

Check your battery for voltage right at the centers of the posts and if OK, start testing farther out, past the terminals. Go to the Power Distribution Center/ PDC, checking voltage at the main cable feed at the stud mounting. If OK there, the ground may be your problem. Check to see if the body and engine block have good grounding. Jumper cables connected to a known good electrical system on another vehicle may make it more obvious where the problem lies as you move the jumpers from the battery cable ends out to the PDC or engine block with the key on. If a particular connection gets things lit up again, you need to look closer at the power or ground circuit that feeds that particular area.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems and I'll be glad to help.

Ed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i meant that i had no power options, manual doors, windows, etc. Only options are AC and CD player. The root problem is driver side headlight is out (even after replacement), delay wipers are flaky, turn signals do a weird buzzy thing every once and a while.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Oooo... The headlight, power door locks (?) and wiper delay are consistent with a CTM problem, but I don't think your signals will be affected. We use a "combo flasher" for signal operation and they do often have hissy fits like that. Windows aren't run through the CTM, either, so maybe part of your problem lies with an ignition switch feed.

Power windows use a feed from a circuit breaker located at location 28 in the left-of-dash Junction Block. You can maybe identify it better by using the under-cover road map printed into the cover cap for the dash, but the circuit breaker will appear different from the normal fuses. You should show power to both sides of the breaker with the key on (it's hard to test the breaker, maybe requiring a small wire be pressed into the spade terminals for exposing the circuit). Lack of power to the breaker means you've lost power from the switch or to the switch, which begins at Fuse 17 in the underhood fuse an relay panel (what we call the PDC). It's a 50 amp glass-topped fuse for reference. Although Dakotas aren't known for window wiring problems, all door wiring in the flex area between the body and door body is subject to stress breakage over time, so you may have some issues in that area.

You might be able to settle a CTM issue by disconnecting it briefly. A short reboot can restore many functions of a CTM, giving you an easy diagnostic tool to tell if it's got issues without scanning. If you don't already know, your CTM lives behind the kick panel to the left of the park brake pedal. Remove the panel, disconnect all three connectors on the 6"x6" black plastic box and reconnect. If you recover any of the functions you've mentioned, it positively shows the CTM to be defective.

Headlamps require a high and low beam driver to operate, both of which are provided by the CTM. If you have neither high nor low beam operation on the left headlamp, you may be lacking the ground circuit, which is shared between the two circuits. Check to see if you have power on any of the outer terminals of the headlamp connector with the lights turned on, then switch between high and low. If the ground is bad, you'll also have power on the center terminal, which is your ground and is often "chewed" by critters in the battery area inside the fender panel. You may also be lacking ground to park lamps or intermittently to signal circuits which may explain your buzzing problem (not likely --- sounds more like a bad combo flasher).

Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in. Check my previous post and let me know if you have any questions or problems.

Ed