Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Recently experienced full brake lock up while pulling 40ft

Customer Question

Recently experienced full brake lock up while pulling 40ft 5th wheel. Problem traced to RAM trailer braking module. Replaced defective module and still get "wiring harness problem" even though trailer not attached. Any suggestions?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

Are you saying the trailer brake controller is saying the trailer is connected/not connected at times when the trailer is not even plugged up to the truck?

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type. The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

2) You have already been charged the full question value. Rating, good, bad, or not at all has no bearing on what you've paid.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation. If you can not rate me, please let me know why.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even though trailer is NOT CONNECTED or even attached to the truck, the indicator states "check trailer wiring harness". Before I connect trailer again I want to make SURE I do not experience a second full lock up while towing!

Thanks, ***** ***** provision module monitors the dark green wire for a ground. This is how it knows a trailer with brakes is connected. When its sees any continuity to ground which occurs through the magnets in the brake assemblies on the trailer. The module thinks a trailer is connected then monitors this circuit. So with no trailer plugged up, this means your getting the warning because this dark green wire is intermittently showing continuity to ground on the trucks trailer wire harness. Can you unplug the module and ohm test this wire to ground while shaking and wiggling the harness to see if the reading ever changes, indication you have found the short region.