Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Wondering if you could help me with an issue I have. I have

Customer Question

Hi Chris,
Wondering if you could help me with an issue I have. I have a 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab w the 6.4 Hemi Gas engine. I purchased the truck brand new from the dealer earlier this year. At around 400 miles on the truck, the engine light came on. I checked the codes the light threw and here is what came up:
P040B EGR Temp-Sensor Circuit Range Performance
P2457 EGR Cooler System Performance
P04D0 EGR Temp Sensor Circuit Low
P04CE EGR Temp Sensor Circuit
The dealer replaced the EGR temperature sensor twice. Once the codes are cleared, you can drive the truck for one drive cycle with the light being off. Once you start the truck up again, the engine light comes back on and throws the same codes. Clearly, the EGR temp sensor is not the issue and I live very far from the Dodge dealer and they still have not rectified this problem. The truck has 2,000 miles on it now and the light always stays on and never goes off. Any thoughts on what you feel this might be? I checked the forums with no luck. It is rare for a 3500 dually to have the Hemi in it as most of these trucks have the Cummings diesel, thus not many people around own this truck with this setup.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome back to just answer. This is most likely a failing PCM. Usually PCMs and other electronic modules fail early on at low mileage (if there is a problem with it) it could be a wiring issue, but i doubt it because if it were, the code would return within 2 minutes after engine starting. I believe that the dealer will probably have to replace the PCM. However they should recheck the circuits between the EGR and PCM one more time before they replace it.

I hope that this information is helpful and please let me know if you need further assistance.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, did you receive my answer?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Good morning! Just checking in to see if you did receive my answer yesterday. I have not heard back from you and just wanted to be sure that you got it.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the same thing that the PCM is bad....I also notice with the remote start that I can start the truck and it will only run about 15 seconds and then it always shuts the engine off. I will tell the dealer that I spoke to on eof the certified techs at Dodge and that you feel the PCM is at fault. I am hoping this will fix the issue. If it's ok with you, I'd like to keep this ticket open with you until it is fixed. Thanks so much for your reply and I will let you know how it goes. Jim
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good Jim! Keep me posted.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** Thanksgiving!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, hope you and your family had a nice Thanksgiving! Just checking back again to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris