Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2004 dodge ram 1500. My lights and radio are on

Customer Question

I have a 2004 dodge ram 1500.
My lights and radio are on with no key in the ignition. The door dings while its open with no key and the door locks keep trying to lock themselves. I disconnected the battery for a couple of hours and when I reconnected it was doing the same thing
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

From what you have described here this sound like an internal electrical fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen some of these switches fail before to where when the key is turned off the switch contacts fail to release or still make contact causing this fault here.This will keep part of the vehicle powered up like this here.The other issue I have seen is a fault with the instrument cluster itself as it is one of the main body computers that monitor and control the body electronics.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set will need to be diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.I would have the signals tested/checked with the electronic ignition switch to see if it needs replaced as well.Some of these are checked with a scan tool that can monitor data for the switch and a multi meter.Both of these components are common causes for fault like this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete