Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Have a 2001 dodge 2500 cummins auto trans The 140 amp to

Customer Question

Have a 2001 dodge 2500 cummins auto trans
The 140 amp to alternator was bypassed when battery was connected backwards. Now won't start. Checked all fuses. The truck turns over (not fifiring). The gauges don't regestered like no power to them. Could the problem be in the alternator keeping the electric flow from fuel shUT off and gauges ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. This is not good. It is not the alternator causing this. The ECM, PCM, and possibly the instrument cluster has been permanently damaged due to the reversed polarity when the battery was connected backwards.. The fuel injection pump may have also been damaged. There may have been other control modules that were damaged also like the ABS, Air bag module, etc. You will need to have a dealer's scan tool connected to the truck and see how many control modules were damaged and start replacing them one by one. Reversed polarity is almost always certain death for the vehicle's electronic control modules. I know that you do not want to hear this, but I have to be honest with you. Get the truck to the dealer or a reputable auto electric shop and have them diagnose how many modules were damaged.

I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wont even read on my code reader
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I jump the shut off switch? 2001 311100 miles
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

I have to drive for about 2 hours fot a Chrysler training class, but will call you when I get there.

Chris