Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

We are working on a 2004 dodge neon. No start. No clicking.

Customer Question

We are working on a 2004 dodge neon. No start. No clicking. Battery ok. Starter ok. power going into ignition switch ok. power coming out of ignition switch when cranking ok. Checked starter relay, switched with good one...no start. bypass starter relay,
starts and runs. do i have a neutral safety switch problem or pcm?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

That sounds like the trans range position sensor is bad.

The Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) communicates Shift Lever Position (SLP) to the TCM as a combination of open and closed switches.

.

I can get the test instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as is allowed.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the range sensor located on this trans?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can we be sure its the range sensor and not the pcm? i dont want to have to drop the valve body to replace the sensor if thats not the problem
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

It is above the valve body, (see diagram) and it can't be tested by probing with a volt meter but can be tested with an ohm meter.

.

Each shift lever position has an assigned combination of switch states (open/closed) that the TCM receives from four sense circuits. The TCM interprets this information and determines the appropriate transaxle gear position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but to remove it, you have to take the valve body out..correct?
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Yes, which is why the file is rather large. It includes the sensor, the test for it and the valve body, thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

The TCM interprets this information and determines the appropriate transaxle gear position and shift schedule.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****