Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

If I got water into my engine, but didn't hydrolock it

Customer Question

If I got water into my engine, but didn't hydrolock it would it still be fine by changing the oil,plugs, wires, fuel pump, and injectors? I have a 2007 dodge ram 1500 slt with the 5.7
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

You may be doing more than is needed.

How deep was the water and how long was the truck in it?

Was the engine running when it went into the water?

Did water get sucked into the intake?

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.

2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.

4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was deep enough to go over the hood of my truck. It sucked in the water, shut off. I struggled to get it started and finally got it out of The water.
So to and we your questions:
1. High enough to go over my headlights. At least 4 ft.
2. Yes the engine was running when it happend. Once it sucked the water in it shut off then like 15 seconds later it started and in drive out.
3. Yes we're got sucked into the intakeWhen it started again it sounded like something was rattling inside. So idk.

Thanks, ***** ***** gets sucked into the intake it first off saturates the filter making it hard for air to get in. Then it messes up the MAF sensor reading. If it makes it into the cylinder quite often it bends rods and blows out the head gasket. Also it gets all the connectors wet, but they usually dry out.

You mentioned changing the oil, plugs, wires, fuel pump and injectors. You did not mention will it start and run now, you did mention it did run out of the high water.

I doubt it was in ling enough to get water in the fuel tank nor effect the pump or injectors. I also doubt its damaged the plugs and wires. Do check for chocolate milk oil, needing to be replaced, check the air filter, and run a compression test to see if the engine is damaged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it rain a few more times after it happened but I didn't want to risk starting it on case it was salvagable. I'm trying to just get it running and hopefully trade into a dealership so they can mess with it.I know it needs oil and all that stuff. What about it making a sound when I would start it. Like the tickets or Wrist pin going bad already

The internal sound from the engine is what warrants doing a compression test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once I do that what will I be looking for?man you please explain how that will help me

You want to see all cylinder within 10% on the readings and you want to see over 150psi. If there is a cylinder one or more pretty low compared to the others then you have a bent rod or blown out head gasket.

As mentioned in my first response, I would stay in contact with you. I've noticed you have not rated the post. So I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.