Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I just drove about 500 miles on the ghway in my 2005 dodge

Customer Question

Hi Scott. I just drove about 500 miles on the highway in my 2005 dodge neon sxt and about 50 miles from my destination, the check engine light came on and the car basically hesitated HARD and stuttered down to 60mph and would not let me exceed 60 no matter how much gas I gave it. However, I pulled off to the side of the road and turned the car off for a moment and then restarted it and it ran fine with no check engine light. It has been doing this periodically since then. I keep the car very well maintained. Any idea what this might be? Thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

have you pulled codes? you will need a code reader or scan tool to pull them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet. I don't have a code reader. I can go to the parts store and have them read them. Also my rear drum brakes are making a scraping noise only when I'm driving. Not when I use them. Any ideas what I could do? I have to drive back to whence I came in a couple days and I want to take care of it before I leave. Thank you bill
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

your gonna have to pull the rear tires and look at the brakes for that, but to properly help I need the codes set in the engine computer AND if any have set in the trans computer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I will definitely do all of this first thing in the morning. It is still drivable. Just annoying. How can I contact you tomorrow morning? Same page here?
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

reply here but be aware I am on the EAST coast and work full time at a dealer so a response may no be right away

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I am here in Florida right now. Driving back to South Carolina on Thursday. Why would be the best time to message you?
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

anytime is ok I will get an email and my first break is at noon

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

there are a few times through out the day I can check my email and I usually do so I may get back sooner

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awesome! I will get the codes read and take the rear wheel off tomorrow morning and message you. Thank you!!
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

ok