-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a 1999 dodge neon, there is a small trickle of fluid

Customer Question

I have a 1999 dodge neon, there is a small trickle of fluid going into the heater core what would cause this?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!!!

Are you saying that coolant isn't flowing into the heater core? If you rev the engine does the flow increase? Have you ever replaced the water pump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has a new water pump. I replaced the engine with a used engine last year and the heat system has not worked since.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If it's full of coolant and it's not flowing then you have a circulation issue and I would remove the lines and see what your blockage is..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which lines are you referring to
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The heater inlet coming from the engine.. If you will notice the chart the heater core gets it's coolant flow from the engine and the water pump pushes it thru the engine to the heater core.. If the coolant isn't flowing thru the engine I would suspect a bad water pump or clogged engine coolant passenges..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would be the best way to check if these lines are clogged
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Since you have had this issue ever since you replaced the engine I would remove the radiator lines to the engine and back flow the entire engine with a garden hose and make sure the engine isn't clogged.. It should flow thru the engine will not restrictions.. Also remove the thermostat and flush the engine with a garden hose... Run the hose in the engine and fire it u and see if it's flowing. If you have it all flushed out and it still will not flow then I would remove the water pump and verify it's the correct one and not turning backwards...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.

Once you get it to flow the heater will work fine