bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

I have a 1992 Dodge D150 full size pickup. It has a 318

Customer Question

I have a 1992 Dodge D150 full size pickup. It has a 318 engine. The truck usually runs great. Bought if from my father’s widow. But I don’t drive it much. Maybe 2000k miles a year. Anyway, my son borrowed it the other day and it ran great. He parked it
at his house, and it wouldn’t start again. The engine turns over, but will not fire. Doesn’t even act like it wants to fire. I have narrowed the problem down to being electrical. (It didn’t even sputter with starting fluid added, and there was no spark coming
from the plugs or coil.) Have replaced the coil, distributor cap and rotor. The distributor itself is about 3 years old. I replaced it when I first got the truck because the screw hole for the distributor cap was broken out and I couldn’t secure the cap on
one side. Where do I go from here? Is it possible that the ignition control module is bad? Any other ideas? Thanks.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

do you know how to pull codes on this year truck?

there is NO ignition module on this truck, it's possible the distributor pick up has failed (common as hell) and it WILL set a code

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I should have said the Engine Control Unit. I believe it is bolted the the fender well on the left side of the truck.
I do not know how to pull the codes on the truck. But if you point me in the right direction, I'm sure I can do it. Thanks.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

here is a link to the procedure look for a code 11 which means no rpm signal at the ecm and that is 99.9% of the time a pick up coil (in the distributor) once you retrieve any codes click on the TBI link on the page you will get a definition for the codes or you can send them to me and I can help further

http://www.troublecodes.net/chrysler/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Tonight is the first that I've been able to look at the truck since your last message.
I used the ignition key method to get the codes. It gave me 3 codes: 12, 54, and 55. So where do we go from here?
Thanks!
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

well that is good news the code 54 is no distributor sync, now I need to know 1 other thing is this a throttle body injected truck OR a multi point *(8 injectors instead of 2) engine the direction will depend on which engine the truck has, and BOTH were available in 1992

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've left home again. I believe it's throttle body. It has what looks similar to a carberator under the air cleaner.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

when you can please send along the vin I can decode what engine it has from there, it is important I know which so I can send you in the correct direction

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the VIN on the insurance card:
VIN: 1B7HE16Y3NS514220
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

that vin decodes as a Multi point injected engine, and as such you will have a CRANK position and CAM position sensor, in your case I would replace BOTH sensors, the cam sensor is under the distributor cap, and the crank sensor is on the passenger side mounted to the REAR of the engine with 2 bolts that have a 1/4 inch hex cast into the center and you WILL need a hex driver to get them out, the crank sensor is a bit of a pain so use a GOOD quality sensor either an OEM one or a NAPA proline one many aftermarket sensors fail very quickly so you get what you pay for

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks. I'll try both of those this weekend.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

ok let me know if you need more assistance