sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 2010 Dodge ram 1500 turns itself off when you turn right.

Customer Question

My 2010 Dodge ram 1500 turns itself off when you turn right. It doesn't do it all the time and there isn't anything to suggest when it will do it. It does it no matter if you have a full tank of gas or running on fumes. It appears to be only when I turn right. I can put it in neutral and it starts right back up. It may not do it again for a long while and then allo f a sudden it does it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Tere are quite a few things that can cause the engine to die. If no codes are setting and it will happen with the fuel tank full then the first thing I would suspect is the torque converter clutch coming on. The converter clutch can come on if the trans pump sucks air, either from low fluid level, the filter or seal sucking air.

Does it feel as if the engine is being dragged down quickly with much the same feel as stopping with a manual trans without pressing the clutch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. There is no drag. It just turns off. It does it when I go to turn right. Not straight and not left. Just right. It doesn't matter if full fuel or low fuel. You can't even tell that it is going to happen till it dies
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't cut out or any thing like that it is still smooth and dies

No warning lights ever come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No no warning lites
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband took it today and put it on auto zone computer. No codes came up

Does ambient or engine temperature make a difference?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. That is what is so weird. Everything is normal

Does it only die at idle and off the throttle or will it happen at higher speeds (coasting driving at a steady speed)?

How often does it happen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happens when I am turning to the right. It happened to my husband while he was going straight and at a steady speed. It doesn't die on idle only when I am driving. It happens randomly. I never know when it will happen.

Which engine do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.7 hemi

Have the spark plugs been replaced at any time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that hasn't been doing. Are you saying that the spark plugs could be the oroblem

Yes,but the issue usually arises when aftermarket sourced plugs are used.

How many miles are on the truck?

can you remove one plug and see what color the upper tip is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
111035. Can't right now. Headed to airport.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had a tune up a couple of years ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This started in last 8 months

Let's definitely get one of the plugs out when you can then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will fo

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do this when I get back and definitely let you know. Could it be anything else?

The problem could be many things including wiring, the powertrain control module, cam and crank sensors, the TIPM; there are dozens of things that you may have going on and it may take some in depth testing at the time the problem is happening to be able to determine exactly what is going on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There in lies the problem. You never know when it is going to happen. It might go two or three months without happening. It will only happen once at any given time. It isn't even like it happens multiple times when it does. Once is it until a week later or 2-3 months later. It has happened about 6 times

Data recording is a possibility if necessary. A data recorder can be connected to the data link connector and when the problem happens you push a button, it captures data from before and after the button was pushed that can then be played back at a shop. I have a hunch you may have a spark plulg issue though. There is an issue that can happen where electromagnetic interference will cause the PCM to momentarily lose consciousnesses which will cause the engine to die.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmmm. Where can I get this recorder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What you said about "losing consciousness" is a good way to describe it.

In the shop we would normally use the WiTech scan tool for this but that would be substantially more than you'd want to spend. Something like this may give you enough information to be able to begin to determine what's going on:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-3005

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the dealership or shop put that scan tool on or do you have to buy one

A dealer or shop would most likely allow you to take the truck with a data recorder on it but it depends on what equipment they have an your relationship with them, the WiTech pod runs about $600. If you're a regular customer they'd be much more inclined to let you drive it with the WiTech on the truck but they'd have to have enough pods to let one out of the shop for an indefinite time.