Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I am having a problem with my rear brake lights. All other

Customer Question

i am having a problem with my rear brake lights. All other lights work properly including the third brake and hazard lights but brake lights will not work and I have a lamp out indicator on my dash.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

have you checked/replaced the bulbs yet?

what's your skill level can you read and follow a wiring diagram and use a test lamp and digital ohm meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can follow a wiring diagram and have an ohm meter. I have not tried changing bulbs because the hazards work and turn signals. I figured they were on the same filament in the bulb
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

no there are different bulbs for reverse, turn and brake the PARK lamps are on the same filament, I would check the bulbs first, the bulbs are all the same, yes even the reverse is a dual filament bulb, so you can swap them around for testing, if there is a bad bulb be sure you use the same bulb number or you will still get a lamp out warning

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no power getting to the bulbs socket when pressing the brake pedal. I checked with test light. I was reading some stuff online about the FCM possibly being bad. Could that be it?
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

I will need the vin to pull a wiring diagram, and see how the system is wired, in my experience though corroded splices are more common especially in salt belt states