AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I have a 2004 dodge intrepid 2.7 motor. have a problem with

Customer Question

I have a 2004 dodge intrepid 2.7 motor. have a problem with it overheating. the following has been done. heads replaced, cam shaft sprockets and timing chains replaced, water pump replaced. radiator, and hoses replaced. motor ran good but problems with
overheating. found that after I used the recommended method to ensure all air in cooling system was removed (used what was called air lift) overheating stopped for about 3 months. in the last month have had to use the airlift to replace cooling water. using
airlift system has no leaks, radiator cap tests okay also. compression test okay. right now the temp gets up to around 170 or 180 (on lower radiator hose) upper host about 112 fans come on and go to high speed then temp drops around 160 or 165 fans shut down
but shortly temp starts to rise again. temp guage never goes above half way reading but the cycle continues. seems like thermostat may be defective not sure. plan to change it just in case. but at a lose on where to go or how to find problem.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Your temp gauge never gets past half way? That's good. Why do you think your overheating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems to want to continue on up, so afraid if I set in traffic it will shoot up and bingo more head work. these reading and guage setting were with it setting idle in gurague.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had to do the air lift function to get water level correct about three times in last 30 days.

Ok. When in motion, does the gauge tend to go higher? When in motion, although your engine is working harder, you have the air blowing through the radiator to offset that.

So, 3 times this past month you have had to add coolant?

I would suggest a cooling system pressure test if this is the case. I always fill the cooling systems using a vacuum filler. It's by far the best method to do it. Which is what your airlift system is. I stopped using it to check for leaks though because it wasn't discovering the leaks like a pressure tester does.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay it has shown me a couple leaks I had when this started but since not found any. I think I have a way to pressure test the system but I don't remember but I will check into that and see what I get. will also try it on the road and see what it does. one question is once I have used the vacuum can I still add water if it gets low. I will take it out on the road and see what it does. normally it does find for a while they bingo up the temp goes. It is just getting to hard for me to do these head jobs body wont take it anymore. I will let you know what I find out on the road.

I know it's hard being hunched over an engine for that long. I do them on the lift now a couple feet in the air. Lower back isn't what it used to be. If it gets low, you can still add water, or antifreeze would be better. Let me know how it goes. I'll be around. Thanks!

Did you end up finding the leak?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aloha Brian finally was able to pressure test it did find a minor leak at a hose fitting but had to return tester be forever I could fix that leak, bad clamp so need to test again to make sure. Sorry took so long to get this done and get back to you. Thanks for the follow up. On the main land for Christmas vacation with great grand daughter back mid Janurary. Will let you know what I find. Merry Christmas to you and the family. Hope it's the weather you want. Stay safe God bless. Roger

Hi Roger. Thanks for the follow up. I can't complain about the weather. It's been very mild. Glad you were able to find the source of the coolant loss. Hopefully it's the only one. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'm here to assist. Merry Christmas!