Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

06 dodge turbo Cummings diesel, starts then shuts down I

Customer Question

06 dodge turbo Cummings diesel, starts then shuts down I seconds. Ran just minutes ago fluids seen to be of, just got fuel 15 miles ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Did it stall going down the road or just won't stay running? Do you see a security light on? Are you sure you got Diesel and not gasoline? Is the check engine light on and of so what codes does it have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got diesel, ran then parked to get food, no problem getting here, check engine light on, can't pull a code. Now it won't start at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Possibly a fuel delivery problem, fuel pump in tank?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If you bump the starter do you hear the lift pump? Do you have a 3/4 wrench to crack the lines open and see if the injectors are getting fuel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hear a slight clicking, no fuel when I cracked the line on the rail.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The clicking is likely the lift pump and did you crack the line when cranking? Do you have a way to see if your getting 500ml in 10 seconds from the lift pump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel filter canister has fuel, I have minimal tools at hand, (parking lot). Got fuel leaks at cracked injector line when turning over.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Is the fuel spraying or leaking? At this point it would help to know what the codes are in the PCM, can you cycle the key 3 times and see if any codes appear in the odometer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
C-121, 282 , c-447
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

These don't look like properly formatted codes.. It should look like C0121 or c4470.. Can you recheck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what came up. I'm calling for a tow.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

I understand.. If you had a scantool to retrieve the codes I would be better able to help you get it fixed..