Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

I have a 2007 Dodge Charger... We have replaced the starter,

Customer Question

Brad I have a 2007 Dodge Charger... We have replaced the starter, battery and the alternator and the car's battery light still comes on and will not hold a charge... Please help!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

what engine is in this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hemi
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Which Hemi, 5.7 or 6.1? Anyhow, it could be The Electronic Voltage Regulator, a voltage regulating circuit located within the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The EVR is not serviced separately. If replacement is necessary, the PCM must be replaced.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

have you had the codes retrieved?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors critical input and output circuits of the charging system, making sure they are operational. A Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is assigned to each input and output circuit monitored by the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

There may be a code set, so that should be the next step.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.7
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If you have battery voltage (12 volts) present at the B+ terminal on the back of the alternator with the key of, about the only thing that could be wrong is the voltage regulator.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

It's a very simple wiring diagram,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I would check for voltage at that B+ terminal on the back of the alternator. If there is battery voltage there while the engine is running and reved up then the alternator isn't charging at it's most likely the voltage regulator within the pcm, but if there is more than 14 volts at B+ but only 12 volts at the battery positive post, then that cable between the B+ and battery post is bad.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If there is no battery voltage at B+ when the key is off, than that fusible link is burnt/bad.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If it turns out to be the pcm, then it will most likely need to be reprogrammed or flashed, before or after installing it.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Are you still there? You are not saying anything.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still here this all sound very expensive
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Anyhow, I believe I am done here. I am going outside to work on my truck now, so I will remind you JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.

If it's the pcm, yes, but not if it's only a loose connection, burnt fusible link, etc.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If you want, I will check back with you when I come back in. Before than, let me know what voltage you have at the back of that alternator B+ terminal with the key off and key on, running at 2,000 rpm. Also, if you can retrieve the codes, do so.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Any news?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I won't have info for you until later today thanks I will let you know then
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did you ever do that?