Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Have 2004 durango won't start battery good starter new

Customer Question

have 2004 durango won't start battery good starter new
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

Will the start not engage or will the starter engage ok just not start the engine? Is the check engine light on or the security light?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the starter isn't engaging all the lights come on when you try starting the car but they were not on when before the problem
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Can you remove the starter relay and tell me if pins 86 and 30 have 12v, then see if pins 85 has a ground when the key is in the start position?

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

To test the starter you can jump pins 30/87

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you can get the starter to turn over (screw driver from relay to starter) and it turn over fine but the car with the ign. on will not start up. Where are these pins 30, 85, and 86?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

When you remove the starter relay you will see them written on the underside...

Let me know the results,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
86 (no), 30 (yes), 85 (no)
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

I attached the starter relay wiring.. Pin 86 is coming from fuse 12 in the interior fuse box.. Is it good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuse # ***** is good
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

How about fuse #12?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12 is the fuse u asked me to check the interior fuse its 25 amp and its good
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Can you check fuse 32 in the interior fuse box? It's a 10 amp fuse..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its good
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Does fuse 32 have 12v? Because it supply's voltage to pin 86 in the relay and we need 12v to activate the relay.. Can you check the ignition switch if it doesn't have 12v and tell me if there is 12v out on the ones that have (Start)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
32 does not have 12v (10 amp fuse) leaving for prayer meeting catch u when I get back if u are still up (smile)
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If 32 does not have 12v then check pin 13 out of the ignition switch..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't know if I check from the right place but I checked from the back of the switch. The color code of the wiring was different for pin 13 there were two wires coming out one was black and the other was purple and yellow not pk/lb as indicated on the chart u sent me for the pins.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

What is the last 8 of your VIN so I can get the correct wiring diagram?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4f188553
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it possible I can get some help today? sent the last eight of the vin already (4F188553)
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Its the same wiring diagram.. The ignition switch is on the left of the steering column and the circuit we need to test is the F961 Pin 13 for 12v when the key is in the start position.. Also check the others for 12v by following the ()

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am looking at the back of the ign (from under neath the dash) switch in order to apply the info that you gave me do i need to take the steering wheel cover off and look at if from the front? if so I started taking cover off but the lever for the steering column i need info on how to remove it so that i can get the bottom half of cover off.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Yes the steering column shroud will need to be removed then backprobe the wire when your starting it.. It's held in with 3 Torx screws in the bottom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got the screws off but the bottom half of the cover won't come of without taking the adjuster for the steering column it on the left side of the steering wheel didn't see any screw attach to it how do u get it off?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Pull it straight to you to pull it off there is a screw above it too

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok back probe the wire and turned the key to start and there was power at 13
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Ok great now can you remove the starter relay and test pin 86 again because this fuse powers it up. If it does have 12v now then clip the test light to the positive battery and probe pin 85 when you have the key in start position. If it doesn't light then move the shifter to neutral and see if it lights.. if you can jump pins 30 and 87 and the starter engages then the issue is between 86 and 85

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No voltage at 86 and no ground at 85 with the key in start position or neutral no start jump between 30 and 87
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The jump between 30 and 87 did work it turn over but didn't start
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Ok if the starter engaged when you jumped 30/87 then the starter is fine and your issue is on the control side of the relay(Pins 86-85). Now since you don't have 12v at 86 then

Did you look at the ignition switch pinout and test each one? If you will look at the ( ) it will tell you when it should have 12v.. Let me know which ones doesn't have 12v when it should

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you said if u look at the ( ) it should tell you when you have 12v I am not sure what this symbol () mean so that I can determine which outpins have 12v
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Example: For pin 2 IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (OFF-RUN-START) It should have 12v in the Off-RUN-And Start position. Refer to the diagram I sent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pin 1 key on (ko) 12v; pin 3 ko 12v; pin 4 ko 12v; pin 7 ko 12v; pin 11 12v; pin 13 ko-start 12v; and 14 ko 12v
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got anything form today?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If pin 3 doesn't have 12v in the start position then I would replace the ignition switch,,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pin 3 has power with the key on and also when its in the start position
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this isn's going to work for me if I can only get one response a day from u. and if that is the case just let me know and I will move one to another service provider
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** the starter relay was jumpered with the key on, and the engine turned over but did nt run, then this is not in the startere system, it will be in the antitheft system, do you have a spare key to try in this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
trying to locate the spare key now, but what you are saying makes sense because there wasn't power at the starter relay 86 and no ground at 85 hopefully and prayerfully that will solve the problem. If we can't find the key we'll have one made. Is there a way to test the key at the dealership to find out if it any good if we have to buy another one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
couldn't find the spare keep called dealership and they said that even if the chip in the key was bad the care would start and die after five seconds. the spare key was replaced because it was doing that before it was replaced with the one that is presently use to start the car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
found the spare key still would turn over
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can u send me a diagram of the ign switch may i might pick up on something while i wait for u to get back with me