Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2009 Dodge Caliber no heat have no pressure when opening

Customer Question

2009 Dodge Caliber no heat have no pressure when opening radiator cap new thermostats replaced
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

Have you flushed the heater core? Are both heater hoses equally hot going to the heater core? If one if colder then you have a blockage in the heater core or a circulation issue..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i hook garden hose up i have equal flow top and bottom,but i have good flow on bottom hose with motor running,but trickles out the top
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying the heater core is not flowing good or the coolant isn't flowing good into the heater core? I attached the flow chart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If i hook a garden hose up to heater core i have good flow in and out,but when i unhook bottom hose with engine running after it gets up to temp,i have good flow in,when i unhook top hose it just trickles out.Hoses change temp,and are very soft like there is no flow.If car sits and idles for a few minutes and you turn blower on it blows hot air then cools off after 10 to 20 seconds.Operating temp on gauge is 1 click below half and stays steady no matter what you do.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If the coolant isn't flowing into the heater core then you have a flow issue.. And it's not a thermostat issue because coolant will still flow to the heater core reguardless of the two thermostat's position. When did this issue start, and have you bleed the cooling system and rechecked it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its my aunts car she told me it started at the end of last winter but she did not worry about it because it started to warm up and she doesn't drive it often.I have bled the system several times because i know they are a bear to get the air out,same result.I cant find out if there is a sensor for the heat,a check valve or what kind of impeller the water pump has that maybe it is getting weak.Seems both sides of radiator are same temp,so i am not leaning toward blockage anymore.Just don't like changing parts till i figure it out.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If you look in the radiatior do you see good coolant flow? Have you felt the radiator to see if you see any cool spots signaling a clogged radiator?