-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7, water going into cooling reservoir

Customer Question

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7, water going into cooling reservoir while driving. coming out of motor and going into reservoir.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

Is it running hot? Also have you checked the coolant cap to see if the spring and rubber are ok?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its heating and temp guage is going over. And I put a new cap on. Water coming out of the overflow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still here? I am waiting for an answer.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If it's overheating then can you tell me if you have any coolant leaks? If you allow it to cool and fill it with coolant and start it with the cap off what happens, does it boil out? I'm trying to determine if you have a leak to cause it to overheat or if the fan isn't working...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the cap off, it shoots the water back up when you give it gas. no leaks.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Without pressing the throttle will the engine allow you to fill it up and does it draw the coolant in when the thermostat opens? Also if you don't have any leaks and it ran hot then is the fan clutch good, is is drawing good air across the radiator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the themostat open it does not draw the coolant back in. And I dont know if the fan clutch is good or not.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Ok if you leave the cap until the coolant level stays consistent after the thermostat opens what happens if you tighten the cap and drive it? When will it run hot and to check the fan clutch see if it will spin easily or does it have some resistance? If you rev then engine when it's overheating do you feel air being drawn into the radiator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will sit and idle with the cap off without it getting hot. Put cap on and drive for 20 miles and guage go towards hot and water pumps it back into reserve tank. Clutch fan has a very little resistance.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you have a bad fan clutch. Since you done have any leaks and it takes about 20 min to overheat I would replace the fan clutch and see if it resolves your issues..

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will try that and Iwill get back with you in a few days. Thanks!
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome..

Thank you for the positive rating..

Follow up questions are free of charge.

Have a great evening,

Brad