-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

2007 Dodge RAM 1500 will not crank over. New battery,

Customer Question

2007 Dodge RAM 1500 will not crank over. New battery, checked starter. When I turn the key, the dash lights go out and I hear a very mild click. The automatic feature that keeps the engine cranking does not kick in and the dash lights immediately come back on after I release the key from the start position. I don't know whether it is related to the starter relay, which I believe is integrated in the TIPM, or if I have a sensor or other error in the circuit. My ODB II does not show any codes related to the issue. It had been starting and running fine with the exception of an occasional check engine light due to an Oxygen sensor. I need to know what to check next, or how to determine whether the TIPM has to be replaced. I would like to fix it without paying thousands to the local Dodge dealer.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

Can I start by getting the last 8 digits of your VIN to grab a starter wiring diagram so we can see what's going on? Also do you have a test light or multimeter?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last eight digits are 7S251922. And yes, I have a multimeter.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply!!

I attached the starter wiring for your vehice.. Can you tell me if you see any red security lights in in the dash? If not can you tell me if the yellow wire at start has 12v when you are starting? If not can you remove steering column shroud and tell me if the yellow wire has 12v when the key is in the start position?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brad, When I turn the key on, the security light comes on for about 3 seconds, as do most of the indicator lights. The gauges are responding normally, and when I turn the key to the start position, all gauges go all the way to the left and all indicator lights go out. When I release the key, the automatic throttle control light comes on for about 5 seconds, then goes off. The other indicators seem normal. The security light does not come back on.I think I looked up the same wiring diagram, because I was confused because either the wire colors do not match the diagram, or I am not seeing a yellow wire. Out of the small connector just behind the emergency flasher switch, I have a White with Yellow marker, a White with Orange marker, a Black with Yellow marker and a purple wire. I do not see any Yellow wire coming from the steering column, from the wireless remote start module, from the turn signal connector, from the airbag connector, or from the connector I described, which looks to be the ignition switch connector. When I turn the key to the start position, I do not get 12v on the white/yellow wire (if that is the right one).
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

I attached a picture of the ignition switch.. And click >>HERE<< for the ignition switch pinout.. The correct wire color coming out of the ignition switch is Gray/red and also can you check fuses 22 and 11 under the hood?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The diagram on Evernote came through, but the photo did not. It is just a bro***** *****nk. Can you resend it - or email it to me at***@******.***. I think we should start again tomorrow, and I will probably pay the extra to receive a phone call. I would like to get the truck running soon, if possible.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about that..

Try >>HERE<<.

Check those and let me know what you find,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brad, had a minor family emergency yesterday. I got some pics of the steering column this morning. I am attaching. Please let me know which is the connector to the ignition switch and what wire to check. Thanks
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The Ignition switch is the 2nd picture on the left side of the steering column.. The Pink/White needs to have 12v when in the run position.. Also the Light Blue/Red needs to have 12v all the time..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pink/white has no voltage (or very low)in run. Blue/red has about 8 volts off drops to almost 0 when in run or start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brad, did you get my last response?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The Light Blue/red comes from fuse 22 under the hood.. Can you check that fuse for 12v? Then check the voltage of your batteries and see if they have 12v..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
battery is at about 11.8 volts - probably slightly drained from the time i have been working on it. fuse 22 has 11.8 on one side, with fuse removed and 2 amp fuse is good.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Ok it runs from the fuse 22 to the ignition switch and if your ignition switch is only getting 8v then you need to check the wiring from the fuse box to the ignition switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it light blue/red coming off the TIPM connector and to the steering column. Does it go through any other connectors at the firewall for instance.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Yes it goes thru the bulkhead under the dash.. It has a 10mm bolt in the middle, just loosen it and see if you have any corrosion..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no corrosion. completely removed bulkhead connector. I have been using the dash as ground to measure voltage. Perhaps I need to use the battery negative post - and check again. I still wonder if my neighbor may have been right - and there is a ground strap to the body that is broken, missing or corroded. When i turn the key to start as I said earlier, the dash light go completely out. Is that normally what should happen or should the dash lights stay on in the start position of the switch?How many ground straps are there, and can I test this if I use a jumper cable to ground from the battery negative to the metal under the dash? Could a bad ground exhibit the symptoms I am seeing. I also will check to see if the headlights dim when I turn the key to the start postion.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

When you turn the key to the "On" position the dash should light up then after 10 sec some lights may go off, and then when you have the key in the "Start" position the lights should go out which is normal because the starter needs all the voltage it can to start...

If your not sure you tested correctly then retest the ignition switch and see which ones have 12v and when. I have also been doing some researching and I attached a few cases on what could be your issues with the ground and a few more issues.

Let me know,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i ran a wire from the negative battery cable (18 gauge ) to the metal under the dash and the voltage on the light blue/red was 11.8 but still dropped to 0 when I turned on the ignition switch. So perhaps the body ground I was using for testing is not well grounded. It did not change the symptoms however. I looked at the three examples you sent, but I don't know where the PCM is located, so I did not attempt to test the park neutral switch in multiple positions.I am at a loss to know what to test next. Is there a way to narrow down what may be the cause? Or at least localize the issue to wiring, or to the TIPM, or to the PCM.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

You need to start at the ignition switch and see if the Light blue/Red has a constant 12v, then when the key is in the start position the Pink/White should have 12v. Also it would help to know what codes are in all the modules using a scantool.. I attached a example of our WiTech scantool topography.