Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

I bought a2013 Dodge Durango.there is a recall on the fuel

Customer Question

I bought a2013 Dodge Durango.there is a recall on the fuel relay pump(not yet fixed) this morning went to start the car wouldn't unlock doors put key on ignition car didn't start ( not even a sound) & now key is stuck can't get it out. Can you please help me?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Goood morning, welcome to JustAnswer! This is Ed. (Note that I didn't say happy morning)

It sounds like your battery is probably flat dead. With no response or sound from any vehicle system available and that your key has become captive, it sounds like you've got no volts. See what you can do to arrange a jump start or install a battery charger and then watch and listen carefully for the device that drained your battery. I've seen the fuel pump relay (same one in the recall) stick in the run position, producing a humming noise from the fuel tank that can be heard from the left-middle side of the truck. Other electrical draw possibilities include lighting, but is less likely because these circuits can be turned off automatically if system voltage drops far enough. Try to avoid turning anything new on and leave the doors shut until you hook up the new voltage source underhood at the jumpstart posts. Being able to identify the cause of your dead battery will go a long way to a permanent fix.

Ed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.i noticed a couple times when I shut off the car & take keys out a humming sound from fuel tank(fuel pump?) could that have drained the battery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gave you wrong number
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, had to leave for a bit.

Yep, a humming sound that's still going on after you exit the vehicle makes a stuck fuel pump relay fuse a real possibility. Their sort of failure is normally that you have difficulty starting the engine (no fuel pressure) but sometimes the contact points in the relay actually weld together and leave the pump spinning. Well... until the battery goes dead anyway.

At this point I think your best hope is to capture the pump in the act, so listen carefully when you first connect the jumper cables or battery charger. The key won't need to be on and is best if it isn't.

Ed

Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in. Did you find the jump start to work?