Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  25 years automotive expierience, Nissan factory trained, Subaru factory trained.
2921078

I have a dodge caliber 2007 rear driver side tire is locking

Customer Question

i have a dodge caliber 2007 rear driver side tire is locking up need help cant back up but can go foward
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Does the car have drum or disc brakes in the rear?
Was the parking brake set before this happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
drum brakes in rear no parking break
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

If nothing has been done to the brakes and the car won't go in reverse you have likely either got a frozen wheel cylinder back there or one of the return springs is broken that pulls the shoes back into place when you let off the brakes. You are going to have to remove the wheel and drum to see which it is. The shoes are moving on their own and wedging into the drum while trying to back and these are the only causes. It is possible the shoe material has come off the shoe backing plate, but that is the same as something broke in there.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?