Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 2001 ram 1500 and I am hearing a clunking chattery

Customer Question

I have a 2001 ram 1500 and I am hearing a clunking chattery sound when I pull out if the wheel is turned at all. If it's not there is no sound. It's kind of like if you have 4x4 engaged on dry ground. The trans is good. Could it be the torque converter or rear differential? Someone asked if its posi traction?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds to me as though a cv-joint has gone bad. Chances are it's the one that the boot is ripped/torn on and lost all of the grease, so look to see if either boot is torn. There would be grease all over the outside of the cv boot. There should be 4, 2 on each side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cv joints are good. There is no sound once I'm rolling a few feet. Even if I'm turning. It feels related to torque
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Cv-joints don't usually make a noise when going straight if one is worn. From what you described, "when I pull out if the wheel is turned at all" is not going straight.

Who said the cv joints were good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mechanic and the transmission specialist. They spent 3 hours trying to diagnose and I have faith in both of them that they would know enough to check the CV joints
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Then I cannot give you anything further, Sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a charge for that. That really wasn't any help. I was hoping with all your dodge experience you would have seen this before
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

No charge...just ask ja for your deposit back if that is what you want.