Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)
Only 2 things could of failed with what you have mentioned, the steering gear or pump. The pump is the more likely failure in this case. The correct way to diagnose this is to run a pressure and flow test on the pump output to determine which part is faulty.
----------Once you get an answer----------
1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.
2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.
3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.
4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.
5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.
6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.