sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My dodge ram pickup 1500 starts but won't idle

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.I need a little more info to assist better.

Does the engine continue to run if you keep your foot on the throttle?If it does in some cases this can be caused by carbon build up in the throttle body bore needing cleaned out with a shop rag with some carb. or brake cleaner sprayed on the rag to clean out the throttle bore and bore plate.This is a common issue that causes this here.If this is o.k. or if the vehicle does not run even off idle at all or stalls out off idle let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, it doesn't idle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Just to be sure it does run off idle and you can drive it but it doesn't idle on its own am I correct?

Is this the 4.7 liter engine or the 5.7 liter engine in this model here?

Have you tried to clean the carbon from the throttle body at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 5.7 it does not idle period, cranks starts ok
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,unfortunately I am unable to offer the service you have requested here myself at this time.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  tims auto repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

can you keep it running by giving it throttle?

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it doesn't idle, although I give it gas,It doesn't give me a code,thanks

but,can you keep it running by giving it throttle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, give it throttle doesn't run.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that could cause what you're having. It may be a fuel quality concern, low fuel pressure, a restricted catalytic converter, or it could be an engine mechanical issue.

Did the problem start not long after getting fuel?