Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My 2000 Dodge Ram Van is making an idling sound everytime I

Customer Question

Hi David My 2000 Dodge Ram Van is making an idling sound everytime I turn on the car and eventually stalls everytime I approach a complete stop. I already replaced the spark plugs the distributor cap along with rotor. Any idea what it can be
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. May I assist you with your question or are you looking for a particular expert?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you have an answer for me that would be helpful. Thanks.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

YES, I would like to help. Can I start by getting your VIN and any codes in the computer? Going to log off for the night but will check back with you first thing in the morning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2b7hb11x8yk126986. It doesnt come back with any codes. I already changed the spark plugs, rotor, distributor cap and changed the oil. Vehicle keeps wanting to turn off (idling) at a stop approach.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! The most common cause of a stalling condition on this engine is a bad/lazy idle air control motor located on the side of the throttle body. As it gets old, it cannot keep up with the fast idle changes and gets stuck causing this stalling condition. This is very common. Another possible cause would be an air or a vacuum leak (Which is also very common), bad camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor. The cam sensor is located inside the distributor on this engine.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance? If so, please let me know and I will be happy to help!