Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2000 durango, 4.7 v8. Whenever I am at a stop

Customer Question

I have a 2000 durango, 4.7 v8. Whenever I am at a stop light, or just sitting and idling, the engine temperature starts rising form about 210 line on the gauge , to just above the red line. When I start driving, the temperature drops just below the 210
line, and holds there. The coolant level is full, haven't heard the electric fan kick on
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, first thing you need to do is check the fuse and relay in the engine compartment fuse/relay box(see attached). Check to see if the fuse is blown and if ok, then swap the relay with the wiper relay and then test drive and see if fan comes on.

If it does, replace relay.

If not, then you will need to disconnect the fan apply 12v to it to see if it runs. If it doesnt replace fan motor.

If it does run, then you will need to check wiring for cuts, breaks, chafing and repair as needed.

If ok, then a scan tool is REQUIRED to test the pcm and ect sensor to see which is faulty

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks